I am using the application on a daily basis and it evolves during my own use. Suggestions for new features, enhancements and bug reports are more than welcome. Please add an Issue regarding any requests or bugs. For more information about signing and notarizing of RsyncOSX see the notarized info.
Released 6 December 2018
In this release executing scheduled tasks is moved to the menu app.
The following changes compared to version 5.5.7 are:
- a lot of cleanup in code (delete of dead code)
- delete code for execution of scheduled tasks, the menu app executes scheduled tasks, add and delete schedules in RsyncOSX
- some enhancements in
restoreand restore defaults to temporary restore catalog if set in user config
- some enhancements in cleaning (deleting) snapshots and log records
- and as always some bugfixes
If both RsyncOSX and RsyncOSXsched (the menu app) is running, RsyncOSX is sending a reload message to the menu app every time there is a change to either a configuration or a schedule. The menu app keeps track of scheduled task in all profiles.
If you are not utilizing scheduled tasks don´t install the RsyncOSXsched app.
Next release will include plans for snapshots. A plan for snapshot is a template for which snapshots to keep and which to delete.
Released 22 November 2018.
The following are changes in the release:
- refactor batch tasks
- the userconfig is refactored
- and some minor bugfixes and tweaks (gui)
- the RsyncOSX.app is notarized
- in the All profiles tab info about used and available remote storage
Here are some screenshots of what is in this version.
Relased 22 Oct 2018.
The following are changes in the release:
- enhanced quick backups
- enhanced copy single files
- enhanced snapshots
I am not able to predict and test for all possible user interactions. I have tried to smoke out most bugs and make the code as robust as possible. The most common errors are nil pointer errors and not taking care of it if a program variable is not initialized nor has a default value when accessed. I have also tried, by program logic, to verify required input ahead of an action. I believe the last version is robust. RsyncOSX can be minimized during operations and all tasks can be aborted at any time. But there are no guarantee that RsyncOSX will handle all situations.
If RsyncOSX does halt or crash during operation there is no damage to files or deletion of files in the
source is only read during
snapshot tasks. And always do a restore to a temporary restore catalog.
Released 29 September 2018.
- supports macOS Mojave and the new Dark Mode
- no logging, minimum or full logging enable/disable in user config
Released 8 September 2018.
This is a maintenance release. The following changes are applied:
- added buttons and tooltips for tasks i main menu (top row)
- changed some of the icons for menu buttons
- refactor in parts of code
Released 16 August 2018.
The primary goal for this release is adding verify of backups. There are also some other and minor fixes as well.
- new function verify
- if task is selected in Execute view, only logs for selected task is presented in log view
- fixed preserving sort direction and selection of logs
- in snapshots enter number of snapshots to delete directly
- cleaned up in copy single files and fixed a memory leak
- a new info view showing output from rsync during execution of single tasks
Released 22 July 2018
- deleting or adding temporary path restore catalog is not working properly
- used in Copy Single files
- and in new function for full restore
- first execution of a task is not logged properly
- various minor fixes in GUI here and there
- some minor refactor of code
- in automatic backup added percent completed each row
- added temporary catalog for restore
- added slider for deleting old snapshots
- collecting errors from rsync to view and correct
- sometimes rsync throws error and halts execution of task, useful to check which errors is thrown
- added observers in menu app (RsyncOSXsched) and RsyncOSX notifying when Mac is going to sleep and awake
Released 18 June 2018.
A bug in automatic backups is fixed, the bug causes RsyncOSX to crash if reporting more than 1000 files to be transferred. The bug is due to wrong number formatting.
Creating the “restore part” of a task is removed, how to do a full restore is reimplemented. There are also some enhancements in the info part, caching of information, select and delete log records and a better check if menu app is installed.
- full restore
- caching of information
- compiled with latest version of Xcode, version 9.4.1 (9F2000)
Released 1 June 2018.
- some minor bugfixes
- some minor GUI tweaks
- some enhancements scheduled tasks
- some refactor of code
- size of app icon is fixed (reduced), thx to Zsolt Sándor
- compiled with latest version of Xcode, version 9.4 (9F1027a)
Released 23 April 2018.
Rsync does not support encrypted backups directly. There is another tool
rclone which does. By utilizing RsyncOSX and RcloneOSX to synchronize encrypted backup to remote servers running OS as FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris and so on. RsyncOSX executes the
rsync command line tool in one go. The administration of the rclone part is done in RcloneOSX.
Please read the documents about encrypted backups.
There is also a new feature automatic backups. RsyncOSX does a check if there are data to be transferred or deleted and for those configurations a backup is automatic executed.
Released 28 March 2018.
The RsyncOSXsched.app is not required to install, it is the menu app for scheduled backups.
- new application icon by Zsolt Sándor
- fixed a bug in schedule
- some other enhancements, se below..
Within the dynamic info view a progress bar informs about the progress. There is a
Select button to select all tasks with changed files compared to backup catalog.
Released 27 February 2018
- added a menu app
to execute scheduled backups, the
menu appis a minimal version of RsyncOSX only capable of executing scheduled tasks
- all editing of tasks and schedules are within RsyncOSX
- added notifications when scheduled task is completed
- the scheduled part is redesigned, to activate a schedule select start date and time and type of schedule.
- the schedules are active until deleted or stopped
onceonly executes once,
weeklyuntil stopped or deleted
- released 1 February 2018
- snapshot is the main new feature in this release
- enhancements in Quick Backup
- selecting the i-button checks and estimates the number of changed files compared to the remote storage
- select which tasks to be executed and press the play button for executing tasks immidialaty
- the progress of each task is presented (require an estimate first - the i-button)
- some minor cleanup in the schedule part
- released 9 January 2018
- a couple of minor bugfixes
- in logging
- in the ssh-tab for assisting setup of password less logins, when port number in use there is a bug, thx to pierre-fromager reporting the bug
- bug in copy files when ssh port in use
- new function for quick backups, sort and select which tasks to be executed in one go
- new function for info about backup locations
- new function for doing quick backups from the info about backup locations
- in parameter view the rsync parameter
--compresscan be toggled on/off
- sort and filter in quick backups and info about backup locations
- v4.9.2 released 17 Dec 2017
- focus on GUI single tasks and batch
- adding several shortcuts
- after selecting a row the following shortcuts are effective
⌘E- shortcut for edit task
⌘O- shortcut for rsync parameters to task
⌘D- shortcut for delete task
⌘R- shortcut for immediate execute task
⌘A- Abort task
- released 1 Dec 2017
- fixed a bug in batchview causing batch not executing properly
- released 28 Nov 2017
- new buttons are implemented
- fixed a typo and some minor fixes
- released 23 Nov 2017
- logging result after execution of tasks is fixed
- added possibility of logging, either minimum or full, output from rsync to loggfile in
- the logging to file is default off when starting RsyncOSX, status of logging is not saved in userconfiguration
- the log function appends new logs, be careful not logging all actions
- fixed some other minor glitches
- added number of days since last backup in Execute view
- released 15 Nov 2017
- it is minor maintenance release, a couple of bugfixes and enhancements in batchview
- released 7 Nov 2017
- this will be the last release for RsyncOSX for some time
The main focus in the version 4.8.1 is UX-design (user experience). The objective is to make the UX-experience in RsyncOSX as good as possible.
- released 25 Oct 2017
- redesigned the schedules part
- fixed a major bug in batch mode
- hiding view in batch mode previous versions of RsyncOSX will reset the batch task
- there are no risk for damaging files, just restart batch task and rsync(OSX) continues from where it stopped
- some other bug fixes as well
- the .dmg file is built on a mounted NOT APFS (SMB mount) filesystem to avoid problems mounting the .dmg file on non APFS systems
- released 12 Oct 2017
- fixed bug in batch function
Caution : there is a bug in the batch function, working on a new release.
In version 4.5.1, configurations and schedules are kept in memory utilizing singeltons. In version 4.7.0 singeltons are replaced by dynamic objects. This results in cleaner code, less couplings and less housekeeping. Stateful objects are difficult and increases complexity in the code.
- released 10 Oct 2017
- major refactor of several parts (eliminating singeltons)
- changed how to get list of remote files (in Copy Files)
- changed how output from rsync executes and information from rsync output is collected
- all the analysis on the output is done after a process termination is observed
- in batch mode calling next task after a 1.0 second stop, if not a process termination might be observed before output from task is completed
- fixed a bug in batchview if rsync discover an error, now rsync aborts and close batchview and notifies about the rsync error
- fixed a bug in setting user selected parameters to rsync (the two first parameters)
- and fixed other minor bugs as well
Built with Xcode 9 GM.
There is a rsync-3.1.2.dmg included which is a built version of latest rsync. To install this version of rsync please make a catalog in your home directory (or use /usr/local/bin) and make RsyncOSX aware of using the new rsync in userconfig.
- released 13 Sept 2017
- using SwiftLint has caused several and major rewrites in parts of code
- some of the classes are yet not adapted to SwiftLint rules
- code is adapted to Swift 4
- fixed a bug when choosing task for batch, an
executeof task might accidentally start when select or deselect batch task
- fixed a bug in discover new version of RsyncOSX
- there are numerous internal changes and quite a few minor bugfixes
- refactor filter (search) functions in logs and copy files
- fixed a bug causing RsyncOSX to crash if loading new profile during a test for TCP connections
- added parameter
--max-delete=-1to secure no execution of task if files will be deleted during run (user selected in setting rsync parameters)
- released 3 July 2017
- rewrite of code for executing single and batch tasks, reduces the complexity and size of code and it separates the view and model
- fixed a bug in Schedules some other minor bugs
- removed test for TCP connections remote servers to a button in Execute view (no automatic check for connections)
- released 8 June 2017
- compiled with latest release 8.3.3 of Xcode (which was released June 2017)
- Seems like the logging problem is partly solved in 30 May 2017 update
- Added Abort when real task is executing
- Refactor of Copy Single files/directory
- in userconfig set temporary restore catalog (for single files or directory)
- display size remote files
- double click on row to get remote filelist
- double click on row to restore files or directory to temporary (local) catalog
- Clean up of other parts of code
- released 8 May 2017
- assist in setup of passwordless logins
- see doc - documentation in progress
- couple of bugfixes
Bug in version 4.2.5 causes RsyncOSX to crash if RsyncOSX is minimized during execution of a task. Bug is fixed and will be released in version 4.3.0.
Next release (version 4.3.0) will probably include some functionality for assisting setup of passwordless logins. Don’t know when it will be released. Summer is coming and further development of RsyncOSX will be slowed down during summer. I am currently working on this release now and (slowly) progressing…
- released 23 Apr 2017
- minor bugfixes and cleanup of code
- compiled with new release of Xcode (version 8.3.2)
- adjusted the parameters to rsync
- adjusted the schedule
In the parameter to rsync, if
backup option is selected RsyncOSX adds the directory to the backup catalog (for saving changed and deleted files). Choose either suffix for FreeBSD or Linux. Neither of them works on local backup macOS (have to test more). But, if you copy and paste the FreeBSD suffix in a terminal window it works on macOS (it adds the correct timestamp to the changed files in the backup directory).
The schedule now informs if a scheduled backup plan is to short ahead. A weekly backup must be at least seven days ahead of current date and time.
- released 10 April 2017
- compiled with new release of Xcode (version 8.3.1)
- enhanced the batchwork part
- fixed a couple of minor bugs
- some cleanup in code
- reorganized Help
- there is an issue when RsyncOSX counts files to be transferred in batchmode, the issue does not introduce any faults (informal only)
- there is also an issue when RsyncOSX is logging, sometimes RsyncOSX does log 0 files and not the actual number of files and size of transfer (informal only)
- released 19 March 2017
- fixed one bug in parameters to rsync (causing RsyncOSX to crash)
- new help function - opens relevant html page in browser
- added new info using rsync version 3.1.2 (number of new and delete files)
- see user configuration how set other version of rsync
- released 8 March 2017
- new application icon by Forrest Walter (this is the primary reason why releasing a new version)
- added new functionality in
Copy files- double click on source get list of files from remote server
Sometimes rsync throws errors and does not execute as expected. Single task is implemented as queue of work (
execute fails (by some reason) the user has to be made aware of situation and fix it.
RsyncOSX checks output from rsync for string rsync error:. If found Execute view is notified, error is marked (in red) and work queue is reset if option in userconfig (see below) is set. To test enter a not valid user name for a remote server (edit task in Execute view).
- released 2 March 2017
- some refactor and several cleanup of code
- Added reporting any file errors (in profile) to Execute view.
- There is also fixed a minor bug in Profiles.
- In About menu reference to GitHub Pages about Changelog and Documentation of RsyncOSX
Version 3.9.5 might crash for some user. This is due to localized string representation of dates in logs. RsyncOSX only accepts
en_US format of dates in logs. Comparing and sorting other localized string representation of dates causes a crash.
If RsyncOSX crash during startup please delete the schedule and loggfile:
Documents/Rsync/MacID/scheduleRsync.plist (deleting this file only deletes any schedule and logs).
- released 28 January 2017
- I´m not adding any major new functionality to RsyncOSX, only minor enhancements.
- the focus in this release candidate is to make logs more informal and stable
- logs are now sorted with most recent log on top (first row in table)
- active schedules are marked red
- number of logs in each schedule
- manual execution of tasks are logged under start date
1 Jan 1900 00:00
- dates are forced to “en_US” localization to prevent RsyncOSX from crashing if the preferred language of macOS is other than english (e.g. Norwegian)
- released 19 January 2017
- added a few tweaks regarding radio buttons in Execute view and deselect row after delete actions
- moved Add button new configurations into tab view and added some more checks when adding new configurations
- In Sch
After releasing this version I will not release new versions for some time. I have to focus on my new job (start 2 January 2017) for some time. I will continue to develop RsyncOSX in the future, but the number of new releases will drop compared to 2016.
- fixed bug in profiles
- added an alternative suffix (in parameters to rsync)
- added delete log rows in log view
- even more cleanup of code
- released 23 December 2016
- fixing one bug in Profiles introduced another bug causing logs to be overwritten
- released 23 December 2016
- fixed yet another bug in Profiles
- bug causing old configurations and schedule data not properly cleaned when new profile is created
- compiled with latest version 8.2.1 of Xcode
- the are several parts of code which is refactored
- cleaned up external references (in About and NewVersion)
- added guard statements to make code safer
- fixed a bug in Main.storyboard referring to a non existing class
- refactor of computing parameters to rsync
- fixed a bug in set optional path for rsync
- updated 13 December 2016, compiled with new version 8.2 of Xcode released 12 December 2016
- released 10 December 2016
- fixed a bug
--suffixparameter used together with
--backupparameter to set date and time suffix (e.g
changed-file_2016-12-10.15.25) of changed or deleted files in backup directory
--suffixin parameter view
- refactor of code for rsync parameters and logging
- speed of sorting and filter logs improved
- added display both
real runof rsync command in Execute view
- released 23 November 2016
- this will be the last release for some time (most likely last release this year)
- there are no known issues or request for new features
- I will continue develop RsyncOSX in 2017, there are some internal parts which should be refactored
- new About view (links to docs, changelog and check for new versions)
- fixed a bug in Edit configurations (reset values when new configuration is loaded)
- some minor cleanup of code
- released 15 November 2016
- logs part is changed, text search for remote server, local catalog or executed date/time
- there is a bug in deleting ssh-port - fixed
- there is a bug in enabling Profiles menu when RsyncOSX is started on a Mac for the first time (Profiles menu is not enabled) - fixed
- sometimes output from rsync is set to nil (in RsyncOSX), doing an unwrap of nil value causes RsyncOSX to crash - fixed
- new image updated 10 November 2016 : some minor GUI tweaks and automatic dismiss after 10 seconds in some of the views
- new image updated 5 November 2016 : if selecting new profile before background check for connection is completed RsyncOSX might crash, fix is done and new image is uploaded. Background check is executed when Execute view loads and remote servers not responding is marked red.
- released 3 November 2016
- fixed a couple of bugs in automatic dismiss of popup views (when scheduled backups are running and in Execute view a popup informs of backup)
- some minor refactor of code
- new image updated 2 November 2016 : added check for optional version and path of rsync
- new image updated 1 November 2016 : “moved” GUI updates in background (Scheduled operations) to main thread - making RsyncOSX unstable if not - throwing “CoreAnimation: warning, deleted thread with uncommitted CATransaction” if not
- caution : a bug in Scheduled jobs caused version 3.5.1 released 30 October 2016 to crash - a new image of version 3.5.1 uploaded late 30 October 2016.
- released 30 October 2016
- fixed a bug in version 3.5.0 deleting/stopping schedules causing a nil pointer exception and crash
- bug was “introduced” when compiling RsyncOSX with latest release version 8.1 of Xcode
- notify new versions of RsyncOSX by delegate
- mainly a maintenance release, some bigger internal changes and some GUI tweaks
- RsyncOSX is more stable than ever
- replaced states by work queue (using states get complex even with a few states)
- I am learning Swift every day and refactor code is important
- code (master) at Github is updated with last commits
- added double click for executing single task and select profile
- double click first time executes a dry run, another double click after dryrun executes the real task
- enable/disable double click in user configuration
- released 20 October 2016
- copy and paste was by mistake not in 3.4.0 - now it is…
- there was an issue with Copy files (search and copy single files or catalogs) - if you experience any problems with copy files in version 3.4.1 please update to last image of version 3.4.1
- released 19 October 2016
- added profiles - select profiles from the File menu, profiles is just new catalogs for storing configurations and schedules files.
- backup of single files in Add view, only backup part is added for single files, use Copy Files to search and restore single files
- some minor internal cleanup and fixes, adjusted Copy Files view
- added abort in Copy Files (terminates search process)
- in logs view selecting row selects logs for selected remote server
- removed test mode in RsyncOSX - replaced by profiles
- user configuration available from Main tab, Add tab and Schedule tab
- in main tab when rsync is changed in user configuration, if row is selected rsync command in view is updated
- counting of files and directories from rsync output is more robust, only version 3.x of rsync counting directories remote
- released 6 October 2016
- capture of more precise info about files, tested on both stock version on rsync and 3.1.2 of rsync (only version 3.x counts directories)
- fixed a bug not saving path for other version of rsync
- added backup in rsync parameters
- changed files are moved to backup location (default ../backup) and appended a timestamp before updated files are transferred from source to destination
- useful when saving versions of e.g. documents
- fixed a memory leak in scheduling of tasks
- after the last release 4 Oct 2016 it seems that there are no memory leaks (at least the graphic memory debugger in Xcode reports no leaks as well as the Xcode instrument Memory Leaks)
- released 24 Sept 2016
- image is updated 26 Sept 2016 (fixed a few minor glitches)
- added detailed logging
- logging switch on/off in Configuration
- hopefully no more releases for some time after this release
- updated 22 Sept (released 20 Sept 2016)
- scheduling of tasks
- added (22 Sept 2016) adding local volumes by graphical window or drag and drop from Finder
- a few minor bug fixes (22 Sept 2016)
- updated 15 Sept 2016
- copy of single files or catalogs from remote storage
- doing a restore require to press the Estimate button twice, once for a – dry-run (estimate) and the the real run (execute)
- some visual enhancements
- Scheduling of tasks is not yet included in this version (will be in version 3.1.0)
- tasks might be scheduled in version 3.0.5 but not executed
- built on macOS 10.12 GM by Xcode 8 GM (GM = “gold master”)
- supports macOS 10.11 and macOS 10.12
What is NOT implemented in version 3.0
- no execution of Scheduled task, but scheduled task may be added, stopped and deleted
- the code for execution of scheduled tas has to be revised and tested
- will come in version 3.1.0
- no copy of single files or catalogs from remote servers
- will come in version 3.1.0
- no detailed logging
- will come in version 3.1.0
Changelog prior version 3.0.0
Changelog prior to version 3.0.0 is deleted. The initial release was 14 March 2016 and code is rewritten since the initial release.
Version 0.5 beta
- initial listing 14 March 2016, released on MacUpdate as well