A short intro to aRsyncGUI
This page is a short intro to aRsyncGUI. For more details about the various functions of aRsyncGUI please see the documentation (RsyncOSX) about each function. Also be sure you understand the basics (RsyncOSX) about how rsync works before using aRsyncGUI and rsync.
All configurations to execute are listed in table. From the Execute view most actions (edit configurations, adding parameters to rsync, delete configurations) regarding configurations are executed.
Configurations can be saved in user selected profiles. The profile in use is shown in label
Profile: profilname. Information about new or delete files and numbers remote of directories are only available if version 3.x of rsync is used.
When you start
aRsyncGUI is a sandboxed macOS app and the first to do is ask for permission to read the users home catalog. The first time the user starts the app a view asking for allow.
The first time you start aRsyncGUI there are a few actions to do before using the app and remote servers. Please see the start aRsyncGUI for the first time.
Where to start?
You can get up and running in just a few clicks. Open aRsyncGUI and select the
Add tab, as an example, add the Documents catalog as source and the
/Volumes/backup/Documents catalog as remote. This will setup a task to synchronize (backup) all content of the Documents to the attached
backup volume in catalog
Documents. Use drag and drop from Finder to add data.
Add button to add task.
Go back to the
Execute tab, select the task and you are ready to go.
Type of tasks
There are two types of how to synchronize source and destination (backup):
(1) synchronize source and backup location, any changed and deleted files in backup location will either be overwritten or deleted
- this is the standard synchronize task in aRsyncGUI, after execution source and destination (backup) is 100% in sync if there are no
--excludeparameters to rsync
--excludeparameter instructs rsync to disregard files, catalogs and patterns included in the parameter
(2) synchronize and save changed and deleted files in a separate backup catalog by adding a parameters to rsync
For the moment snapshot tasks is not possible in aRsyncGUI, see the aRsyncGUI Changelog.
How to execute any type of tasks
All tasks can be aborted at any time by selecting the stop button.
First select one task in Execute view, applies to (1) and (2) below.
(1) single task, a double click on a task executes first a test run (
--dry-run), the next double click executes the real run
⌘R (execute one task now) - shortcut for immediate execute the selected task
- if a task is executed by shortcut
⌘R, a select of another task during execution will terminate (abort) the current task
⌘B (execute all tasks now) - shortcut for automatic executing backups or by select the double arrow, the command checks tasks for files to be synchronized and automatically executes those tasks
(4) quick backup, select the marked arrow button in menu bar
- start with dynamic view of local vs remote storage, automatically selecting tasks with files to be synchronized
(5) mark backup tasks for batch, select the marked arrow button in menu bar
- tasks which are marked for batch are selected
YouTube videos (of aRsyncGUI)
There are four short YouTube videos of aRsyncGUI: